Sunday, March 22, 2009

Old Friends, Old Places

These past two weekends have been filled with memories from twenty to nine years ago. We have gotten the chance to meet old friends and visit places that brought back memories long forgotten.
Last weekend we packed up the family, to include Trysta, and drove out to Zell/Mosel. When my dad was stationed at Hahn Air Base, this is the little town we used to live in. There were so many things I had forgotten about that little town, but with the help of my friend, Sonja, it all came back to me in waves. The apartment, on top of the Gasthaus, was still there and so was the same owner. Sonja went in to explain to him who I was and he was more than happy to let us look around. We didn't get a chance to go into the actual apartment, but that was OK. It was nice to see the house anyways.
After that we just walked around the town and eventually met up with her Mom, Linda. She seemed really excited to see us and made us feel quite welcome. I hadn't seen her, or Sonja in twenty years. We just told stories back in forth while our kids played and our husbands talked about life. We stopped in the middle of the town and had ice cream in a sidewalk cafe. Shelby got the Bug Ice Cream and I got the spaghetti ice (yummm!!) and it was coffee all around. We eventually made it down to the park where the kids had a great time on the merry-go-round.
There were many aspects of the town that hadn't changed, but the river front is more touristy now, while it was a nice sleepy town when I lived there. I still was the charming town that I remember. I will say, that the ice cream and coffee were pretty tasty an d Jay found some wine and a very reasonable price. Shelby was all excited about seeing a place where I used to live as a teenager. I will say that it really made me appreciate the experience that I had there the short time I did live there.
We had a nice visit with Sonja as well. She was actually closer to my sister than me, but hopefully I will get to know her more while I'm here. She put us up in her house for the night and treated us to a wonderful dinner and a tasteful german breakfast. She even let us take Trysta to her house. We walked around her town, Reil, that night and just hung out. Our kids got along fabulous. It proved to us that kids don't need a common language to get along. Wouldn't it be nice to apply that theory to all humankind. It was so nice to see Sonja again. I couldn't believe it had been twenty years, two kids each and a little age on both of us. I promised her I would try to see her at least once a month. She is only an hour and a half away, so it's really not that far. I also told her Mom, Linda that I would bring Dad when him and Sandi come in July (which a I can't wait to see both of them). Sonja really has such a nice family and I can't thank them enough for letting us stay for the night. It was also Mikey's first time in a german crib with a duvet and a pillow. He seemed to really like it and looked so comfy. I think he really enjoyed the cartoons on the crib itself.
This past weekend we took the kids down to Ansbach and Rothenburg to show them wher e Jay and I used to live and work. We were also going to meet a family we knew while stationed in Georgia. We stayed in the night in the actual old part of the town Rothenburg with the old wall right outside our hotel window. As you can guess, Shelby got a huge kick out of that. Since we got down there so late, all we really had time for was to eat dinner and go back to the hotel. We were hoping to eat at place we had our first date call "Le Rustica". It's this great steak place in Ansbach. After we drove twenty minutes to get there and travelled around a bit in Ansbach remembering how to get there, it turns out, it was closed. WE were quite disappointed as we were really looking forward to eating there. So we thought we would go to the next place that was a mark on memory lane for us. When I told him I was pregnant, we were having a date at this chinese place downtown. We remember it being really good and started to drool at the thought of it. Would you believe it, but was closed as well!!! Man, two and zero. If this were a baseball game, we would really be in trouble. It really put our spirits in a damper and our tummies in high alert for food (it was 8pm by this time). We just thought it was so sad that the two places that meant something to us were both closed down. SO next on the list a place we knew was open because we saw it on the way in. So we moved on to the town of Lerberg and ate at the Kern. It's a popular place for Americans and I had eaten there a few times, and Jay once, while living in Ansbach. SHelby was happy because she got dessert for dinner. IT was a fruit tray with some ice cream and whipped cream, and she ate all her fruit and gave the ice cream to us. At that point, we weren't sure if she was our daughter. Mikey was happy as he got to sit in a highchair and eat rice. Feed the boy and he is a happy camper. Got to love that!
The next day, we got up early, went downstairs to eat and learned that Mikey is Mr. Popularity. Twice this has happened to him while we have been out touring. Asian women LOVE him. They just swoon, take pictures and want to hold him. THey even went out of their way, while we ate to take some pics of him together with the ladies like he was some kind of rock star. I don't really mind it, but I'm stunned by it. I guess this is what it feels like to be a star. Mikey didn't seem to mind it as he just smiled and smiled.
Anyways, we got up and drove down to Ansbach. We went out to Daddy's "Castle" and to my old apartment with the "Castle" next to it. Both Jay and I realized that we really missed Bavaria and Ansbach. It really is a great town that is just big enough to have what you want without getting lost. It's a great place to raise kids and so very pretty. We did go down to Katterbach to see what had changed. Another place we used to eat was gone. It was too much!! We used to walk down to an Imbiss by the Mail room and get currywurst and gryros. Now there is some other building there. Katterbach is still under construction (as it was when we left in 2003), but other than that, it hasn't changed much. Shelby loved seeing our "Castles" and where we worked. IT was such a beautiful day as well. The sun was shining and it cool in the shade and warm in the sun. I have to give it to Jay, he remembered all the back roads and drove us around without getting us lost.
By lunch it was time to head back to Rothenburg as we were meeting the Reed's. As we were leaving Ansbach, they called said they were in Rothenburg early thinking we were there since we stayed the night there. However, we were in Katterbach (where they live) and wouldn't be there for 30 minutes. So we both changed plans in the morning and just missed the other. WE knew the Reeds in Columbus as we were the same Company. Lex and Jay Deployed together (he was the battalion Chaplain) and Shelly and I hung out with the Ladies from BSTB. They have a little three year old girl, Zoe and a boy on the way. As soon as we met them we all went to lunch in a typical German restaurant. It seems that they still hadn't eaten a true German meal yet. Well, here is the place to do it. They hadn't been to Rothenburg either, so it was perfect, and of course we all wanted to see each other. The lunch was great and the beer was better. I finally had the beer we have been craving. WE can't seem to find it anywhere up here as it is the local Rothenburg brew. Lex really enjoyed it was well, as was on the hunt for it was well. (we did find it at the town drink market...two cases later).. We stayed at the restaurant for quite a while and just talked and had a good time. Eventually the girls ventured into the Kathe Wolfarte Christmas store and were just in awe. The little girls did so well in there and they both wanted clothes pins with felt butterflies glued to them. They deserved them though as they both kept their hands to themselves (as that store is kinda pricey with ALOT of glass). We got dessert afterwards and then it was time to bid farewell. Both Shelly and I thought it was so weird just hanging out in Germany. We were just hanging out with the girls in Georgia. THe world is very small. We had a very pleasant visit with them and can't wait to see them again. Just like Sonja, they are only and hour and a half away, so it's an easy days visit.
I thought it would be so sad to leave all my friends once we came here (and for those I can't see, it is) but I have already met up with three friends who are now over here. Faith is in K-town (from Georgia, knitting) Sonja and now Shelly. Jay and I both have family comin this year and we are looking forward to their visits. It's always wonderful to see new places and meet new people, but something of the past can be so comforting.
well, i now have a baby on my lap so i better go. the pics are on the albums..so until the next adventure....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure have been busy! It sounds like it was a great trip though. Old memories are always fun to look back on. No less, you were able to share it with the kids, very cool. Marissa and I should come visit you when Bradley deploys. :-) We miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you are welcome anytime. I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete