Happy Fourth of July and lots of Watermelon!
NEW ALUM UPLOADED: 4th OF JULY
We had such a nice four day weekend just hanging around the local area and spending some peaceful family time. It has been raining here everyday, but we still managed to find something to do outside the house throughout the weekend. It all ranged from swimming in a pool, taking a long bike ride and seeing a town down the road.
Friday we decided to take a quick trip to downtown Heidelberg to see some of the sites and to eat lunch. There was a little market and Shelby bought herself a little postcard. Lunch was at Imbis counter, but they had some delicious gyros, or doner kabobs. Of course it sprinkled on us while we were eating outside, but we just tucked under the umbrella and it soon stopped. Afterwards we cruised the side roads and up to the bridge. Wish I could tell you the bridge's name, but I can't, all I can ttell you is that it looked like one of the older ones. It did give us a lovely view of the castle though. In our meandering we did find a quaint little courtyard. I'm sure it was a private one, but the door was open, so we went in. We soon came home and to see the opening ceremony of the fest that is here on post. We didn't stay long as it was time for Mikey's nap, but Shelby got to go on a ride. Afterwards, Shelby got to play in her brand new pool and Jay did a little organizing around the carport. Around dinner we decided to take a bike ride up to the restaurant in the woods to get dessert. We weren't really hungry for dinner since lunch was so late and big. So why not? Dessert for dinner. It was YUMMY. Shelby, Jay and Mikey all had ice cream and I had Tiramisu. We learned that Mikey can now drink out of straw....though very messy, he still can do it. Shelby got to play on the play ground while we waited for our food. She was having so much fun, she didn't notice when all the ice cream came. Finally at the end of the night, we put the kids to bed and watched a movie together.
Saturday we decided to buy a new bike trailer. The old one we had dry rotted at the seat area, and we borrowed our friends the night before, the kids were leaning all over each other. We found a really nice one with semi-bucket seat style so they each have their own little area. When we got home, we took a nice long bike ride and took the kids to the playground in the preserve in the backyard. The weather was perfect as it wasn't too hot and the sun wasn't blazing on us. The kids had so much fun on the playground. Of course, we took the camera, but never pulled it out. Shelby has finally learned how to swing herself so we can concentrate on Mikey. Speaking of...he loved the little bouncy animals and the swing. Then the whole family went on the teeter-totter. Jay had Mikey and I had Shelby. In the end, the weight was all evened out and we all had fun on it. After a couple of hours we came home so that we could send a Skype call to Jay's Grandma. It was nice to see her and his parents and I know she loved seeing the kids. She has never seen Mikey and it's been over a year since she last saw Shelby. So I know it was a real treat for her.
Soon it was time to go to the fest. We promised Shelby we would go on Saturday and decided to go in the evening since we were staying for the fireworks. We never made it. As we started walking to the fest, we were pulled into three different parties. Well, I can't say pulled in, because it was short visits to all three and it was nice to see everyone having fun. Shelby got to play with most of her friends that night. We never had dinner that night as we were going to eat dinner at the fest. We did have light snacks at our neighbors ,dessert at the next house and almost another dessert and the last house. The kids were fed, so that is was is important. By the time we reached the actual fest, the line was so long that we turned around and found a place to watch the fireworks. I might say, not a bad show either. We had the perfect view without a lot of people around and right in front of the playground so shelby had something to do while waiting. One firework did run away, but I think they put it out just fine. I was impressed of the show and glad we stayed for it. Mikey never cried. He just watched in amazement. THey were pretty loud too! Shelby, of course, was very excited and had a great time. We were all pretty tired at the end of it.
Sunday was our time to hang around the house. Shelby played in her pool, Jay grilled and we both had a drink by our "pool". We did make it to the fair for a short while, though. We ate cotton candy, fries and Jay and I had a beer. Shelby rode a couple of rides and we talked her into going on the bumper cars with Jay and the fun house with me. She had a lot of fun. I think Mikey just enjoyed the sights. All he did was just look around, constantly. Shelby shared her cotton candy with all of us and even Mikey. Nothing like giving pure sugar to a baby. He of course loved it. Shelby bought herself a huge unicorn balloon and won this helicopter toy fishing for ducks. I think we only really stayed for maybe just over and hour, but that was all we needed. Shelby had a friend over for dinner and her little pool party. Jay grilled this awesome rib-eye that was SO delicious. I could have had three of them; but there wasn't anymore. Mikey learned how to crawl in and out of his car and just had a nice time playing in the grass. We had our Fourth of July Watermelon, and even Jay ate a piece (even if it was with a fork!). There is a good video of Mikey trying to eat a piece. We had cut up one into lots of little pieces, but he was having problems with it, so I gave him the whole corner of one. I made that boys day. I tell you , he will eat us out of house and home, that boy will. More of Shelby's friends came over that night to play in the pool. but she did get to say Hi to Haley via Skype and I talked to my family. i got to talk to my aunt and her daughter who haven't talk to in quite a while. I can't wait until she and my Dad get out here in less than two weeks. It's always good to call home.
Yesterday was just a PX, errand day. We did run in a friend from Fort Benning though. She was our Brigade FRSA and it was so fun to see her again. She was always so helpful to me while I was the FRG leader and she is the one who gave us the name to the Realtor that sold our house. We went to the PX to find a ride on toy for Mikey for his Birthday, but they didn't have a single one. Man, I was so irritated with that. We will go to the German Toys R us, but we shouldn't have to do that. THey should have these things at the PX. It's supposed to be a privilege to shop there, but it is so frustrating that they never have what you need....and I won't even talked about their fashion. Well, I guess the German Economy will get our money seeing as they have what we are looking for. Shelby did get to Skype with her best friend in Texas from Benning. One would never think either of these girls are at the tender age of 5/6...it was more like listening too two 15 year olds. They were both eating hot dogs and drawing pictures for each other. Tt was neat to watch. My goodness, how they grow.
As for the rest of the two weeks, the kids and I have Vacation Bible Study coming up for a week and I need to get this house organized before our visitors come. We are planning our trips to both Berlin and Paris and enjoying the weather and each other.
As for those who give all and everything so that we may do this, let me say thank you and I pray ya'll had a wonderful Fourth of July!

Happy 4th, it looks and sounds like it was a lot of fun.
ReplyDelete